Saturday, March 5, 2011


"Most of the logging I remember, when I was younger, was up Rock Creek," Carmen Moore said. "It was mostly private land owned by McFarland, and Marsky Brothers in Sandpoint. They sold the timber and cutting rights to different little gypos.
"One big camp up Rock Creek of 30-40 men, called Peterson's camp, was just below where the west fork and the east fork come together. Mr. Frank King was the blacksmith there. King worked for McFarland Pole Company. Old John King lived with his son, Frank. In the wintertime they'd cut posts and poles and a few logs and bank them out on the road. Then before spring they'd haul them with horse drawn logging sleighs. In later years they'd truck them down with the old hard tired trucks.*1.
"One wintertime in that camp - there was an Indian. Maybe he was full blooded. Maybe not. But one of the fellas there kept pestering him all the time and belittling him and everything all the time and finally one day the Indian got so mad and his blood worked up that he started after this feller with a knife. And he did catch him in the deep snow and he stabbed him and killed him. The sheriff telephoned Bob Larson at the store. Said he was looking for an Indian in the logging camps and to call if he came in. The Indian showed up at the NPRR depot. Of course the sheriff came down from Thompson Falls and took him away and I suppose he ended up over at Deer Lodge in the penitentiary."*2.
"He was the most peaceable Indian I'd ever saw," Larson said. "I kept him at the store and the sheriff came and got him."*3
L. D. McFarland, out of Sandpoint, had gotten a 160-acre timber claim and logged it. Clate Bauer went to work for McFarland in 1921 hauling poles out on sleighs. The place was nothing but a bog hole in the summertime and buck brush (seanosa) was the favorite springtime habitat for wood ticks.
"Lots of Whitepine was taken out of Rock Creek," Clate said.
"Al Copley cut two 110 foot poles, falling them with the exceptional skill required not to break them." It was up to Clate to haul them out on the winter snow pack with teams of horses.
"We had to fix up sleds with long cross chains and tie the bunks down tight because when you went over a bump the tail-back sled would be ten to fifteen feet in the air. I took two spare sawyers with me to cut the trees and stumps on account of the sluicing (sideways) so I wouldn't break the poles.
"They went to the Ford Motor Company in New York. It took three railroad flat cars to load them. We hauled poles out of Rock Creek for seven years.*4.
"Great teams of horses sledded logs out of Rock Creek to the log chute just downstream from the mouth of the creek to be decked on the river. Log decks were also piled on skids along the north side of the Clark's Fork down stream from Noxon about one mile and again about four miles."*5.
"They loaded those sleighs! " Lanky Jamison said. "Four horses to the sleigh. They run the hills, dropping the chains down the front. There was supposed to be a guy there to sand but if it got goin too fast they had to put the whips to the horses and gallop them down there. If a horse fell he was dead. It'd generally bring the other horses down too.
"Men did not ride up on the top of the load of logs, that was too dangerous in case of a run away or accident. They rode down on the hook, or rough locks, where the tongue went on to the sleigh so they could jump free.*6.
"A 'log chute', [made by laying out a string of small logs parallel to form a downhill track,] utilized the pull of gravity and helped cut log moving costs. If the logs didn't move fast enough down the chute the camp cook sent out a bucket of bacon grease to speed things up a bit. The grease was 'painted' on the chute with a rag on a stick. The chute was constructed of native western larch, one of the more durable and tougher species available. Logs were skidded onto rollways located near the top of the hand-made log chute."*7.
Earl Engle, Dan Coan and Peterson used to use boats to row across the Clark's Fork River at Weare's sawmill landing for supplies, then packsack the supplies to the logging camp in Rock Creek.

Clayton Bauer hired 25 tie hackers on Section 11 of Anaconda Copper Mining Company (A.C.M.) land. back of the John McKay place. They made 7,000 ties. Homer Baird was the A.C.M. land agent in Thompson Falls.

In 1923 and 1924, Frank Berray and Cliff Weare took two log drives down Bull River, floating out about fifteen million feet.
"But almost twenty years before that, before the Forest Service came in, Burke and McBride, from Cabinet, took out ten million for Hope Lumber Company," Frank Berray said.
"Ryan and Rummley cut the Toothacher Place, Pearl Reed and Inman cut out of Dry Creek. Cap and Jim Berray cut their place and Ed Hampton cut, too. He had a boom at Smeads. He cut mostly poles," Frank said.
"Oh, I suppose there was a hundred million feet taken out before the forest service came in 1906," Weare said.*8.
The 1924 log drive, started about 9 miles south of Polson, Montana, and ended 150 miles downstream, at the mouth of the Clark's Fork River about four miles west of Clark's Fork, Idaho, Gordon "Bud" Daugharty said. The drive lasted some seventy days, starting about April 20th and winding up the latter part of June.*9.
"Yes, they used dynamite, too. There was one eddy that would only clear once every twenty four hours, right back of the Kalslo depot that was at Furlong. Furlong is where the Lyons mill was," Charlie Knutson said.
"I know the drivers used to be in there a lot. And the logs would go around and around and around in that eddy all day long. And only once every twenty-four hours it cleaned itself.
"A lot of people at Noxon used to go to the Heron Rapids when they drove logs down," Charlie Knutson said. "You know those rocks would jam those logs and there'd be great big log jams there and those driver's would get into that river up there and work those logs loose. "Oh! It was dangerous! They had those great big batteaus. And they used to be in there for a week, breaking those log jams on that rapids up there.
"They'd get the key log, in the bottom I guess. I never was out there with them. But I know they'd work and finally get a log loose from the bottom and start them going. They'd be weeks at it. They even had teams up there with long lines they'd hook onto the logs with and pull them loose."*10.
"That Cabinet Gorge was a narrow gorge. Jim Finnigan rode a 25-30 foot pole down through there in the high water once. The water was so high he just went right through on a channel. He had a pike pole to balance himself as he went through."*11.
Zin Caza, Jim Finnigan and Strawberry worked together on the river drives. The drunker Zin got the straighter he'd get until he'd fall over backwards, and the money would fall out of his pockets and the kids watching would pick it up and give it to him. So he'd give it to the kids. Zin was always giving the kids money.

Clyde Scheffler took posts out of Bull River and helped on log drives. His team of horses, Prince and Dan, swam behind the drift boat in the Clark Fork River and then were used to pull logs off from banks where ever they held up.
"Joe Irvin and Joe Moderie they took a big pole drive outta here. Those were Tri-State Lumber Company's. They cut a bunch of poles by Spar Lake.
"They cut over, oh, I don't know, thousands of poles out of there, trucked them down, put them in Bull Lake, and they were gonna cut a channel through to Bull River and drive them out. The state stopped it. So they had to sleigh all of them and dump them in Bull River.
"And by the time they got them all in, the river was low and they had a heck of a time gettin them things out," Frank Berray said.
"I know. I talked to Joe Irvin and he told me," Cliff said. "He said it broke him."
"Yeah. Oh they broke the Tri-State Lumber Company. It broke 'em. Because the poles laid on them rapids there at Heron, big eighty-nintey foot poles, they just weave back and forth on them rocks and the rocks cut holes in 'em. It ruined 'em.
"They tried to dynamite them out, the darned fools. That made it worse, because they broke up more of 'em. Oh, yeah. They had a big time there. Oh this river's gotten drove lots."*12.
Harry Talmadge, who'd drove posts down the Bull River for Bill Higgins in 1914, sold logs to Weare in 1924, and then drove them down Bull River. These logs were driven on down the Clark's Fork River to White's Sawmill.

Frank Berray worked on both Bull River drives, handling the boat on the river. The logs were driven to the bag boom at the mouth of the Clark's Fork River, brailed or rafted and towed across Lake Pend O'Reille to the Dover Lumber Company's mill at Dover, ID. (A. C. White Lumber Company bought out the Dover mill).
"They drove logs in 1923, 1924 and 1925, which was the last time the river was driven. "Driver" wages in 1924 were $6.00 a day and board. The crew slept in tents and the camp was moved every day unless the drive was held up to break log decks or rollways to put the logs afloat. He said breaking the decks was enjoyable because the drivers never got their feet wet. The camp outfit and cook was either moved by a 4 horse team pulling a wagon with a hay rack on it, or by a boat.
"Either one was called the 'Wannagan,' which contained the camp outfit and cook shack. Narrow boats accompanying the drivers on the river were called 'Bateaus'.*13.

Earthen dams, built on Bull River in 1887, were at the Caspar Berray ranch and downstream from Copper Gulch on Bull River. They were made of timber, rocks and dirt to back water high enough for the spring drives. (Frank Berray, George Baker and Mr. Culligan took out the dam at Berrays which Berrays had originally helped to build.)

Once during high water, Clifford R. Weare drove posts down the river and tore Zenus Carmichael's bridge out, but he wouldn't help to replace it. Rollo Carmichael, Cap, Jim and Algie Berray rebuilt the bridge linking Carmichael's to Berray's.*14
"There weren't many mill owners in Noxon when I was a kid," Ben Saint said.
"Probably Frank Lyons had one of the few sawmills in the country at that time. He was up on Tuscor Creek at the foot of Tuscor Hill. A family by the name of V. W. Waterson came in, oh, about 1923. They came in there in wagons and took the Knutson place.
"Mr. Waterson worked for Frank Lyons at the mill. And the kids went to school there. There was Clarence, and Mildred and two or three others. They stayed in there until 1927 or '28."15.
"In January 1923 I went to work for the F. W. Lyons Lumber Company at Noxon," Walter Robb said, "driving a four horse team hauling logs out of Rock Creek. The roads broke up and the job shut down on the 25th. On May 5, 1923 I married school teacher Florence McDonald, Eddy, Montana and went to Superior, Montana."16.
Frank Lyons big mill on Steven's Creek had a planner and made finished lumber. It was one of the first big mills after the I.W.W. strikes. *17. Lyons was six foot tall, slender, stooped and was powder monkey on the county road building west of Knott's. He was a nice man, broad shouldered, dark complexioned a good worker, had a temper, and was a good organizer. He walked and rode freight trains to come to Sanders County from Oregon. Stewart Hampton said,
"He wore a lamp wick in his hatband to absorb sweat. One night, needing a place to stay, he stepped up on the porch of a house. The people inside swapped him a nights lodging for his lamp wick. They'd been in the dark for days for lack of a lamp wick.
"His timber crew would hold contests to judge whether Frank's or his wife's biscuits were best. Once they doctored Frank's!
"One night a porcupine tried to enter the bunkhouse window. Lyons was smoking so he held up a match and the animal scooted. He flagged it on it's way with a gunnysack. He sawed with a cross-cut saw. York Lyons, Frank's son, married the Dominick's daughter. Then York died."*18.
The Ellis's were the big post and pole company in Noxon. Shipping them out. But most ranchers sold their posts to Larsons. Henry Larson.
"They brought them in and sold them to Henry Larson," Bob Saint said. "Probably got a nickel a piece for them. 4-5 cents for every post delivered in there. Mostly about a nickel. My granddad used to split posts, and he got 2 cents for splitting. If you split 200 posts you made yourself $4.00. They were hauled in to Noxon on sleighs during the winter."*19.
A pole yard in Noxon by the tracks held piles so high you couldn't see over them. Thousands of poles shipped from Noxon.*20. Clifford R. Weare became one of the major timber men in the area. He had two logging camps, one at the junction of the North Fork road in Bull River and also one at the south end of Bull Lake.

A close study of Weare's business gives a fair insight into the timber business of the valley during the middle 1920's, before the market crashed.

July 20, 1922: NPRR land price list in Sanders County, Montana. Northern Pacific Lands were for sale, as per lists made available by J. M Hughes, Land Commissioner, NPRR Co, St. Paul, MN. Sold for cash or upon the five-year credit plan, or a ten-year credit plan. Under the five-year plan, 1/6 of the purchase price was required in cash at the time of purchase, the rest in five installments with 6% interest per annum.

The ten-year credit plan required only 1/10th of purchase price in cash. NPRR reserved all mineral, coal, iron, natural gas and oil rights, plus mining rights. All lands were subject to logging right-of-way of the A.C.M. Company.

The majority of lands sold for $1.00 an acre, ranging up to a 640-acre section. Lands sold for cash could be logged without restrictions. Prices also ranged anywhere from $5.75, $9.25, $13.75, to as high as $25.00 an acre on some pieces.

January 10, 1923: Weare was still dickering with NPRR for timberland in SEC9/T28N/R33W. Wanting the whole piece he wrote,
"I made a proposition in regard to the purchase of the whole of your land in this section thinking I would be able to log it this winter.
"But we are tied up with four feet of snow now, and I can't turn a wheel. But will take the one forty, and when I get around to it, if you have not disposed of the balance of the section, will take it. I can pay for forty. But I might have fell down on the section." Weare also penned on the letter that he'd broken his leg.
May 31, 1923: Weare bought 360 acres of NPRR land in SEC9/T28N/R33W for a purchase price of $4.50 an acre, paying $1,620 cash.

Seventy-eight foot long cedar poles being
driven down Bull River by 'flash dams'. Family
poses on them. Clifford Weare drove his timber
to market on this river many times.
Courtesy Clayton Bauer collection.

September 12, 1923: Weare bought from George William Burdette and his wife, the NE1/4 of SEC16/T26N/R33W for $2,800, with $500 down.
"I come up here and bought a place here for the timber of Bill Burdett. I paid him $3,500 for it and I cut a million feet of whitepine off it," Weare said. "First he wanted $2,500 for it. It was a homestead. I told him, all right, come down and we'll go up and have the papers made out (at Thompson Falls) and I'll give you $2,500 for it.
"He didn't come down. A while after, he said, 'I want $3,000 for it.'
"'Alright. I'll give you $3,000 for it,' [Weare told Burdett.]
"Then, he [Burdette] didn't come down (to Noxon from the homestead on Bull River). When he did come down he said, 'I want $3,500 for it.'
"'Well, I don't believe you'd sell it even if I'd offer you $3,500.'
"'Yes, I will.'
"'Well, maybe you would and maybe you wouldn't, but,'" I said, "'I'll give you $3,500 for it. But that's all and you gotta be down here tomorrow if I'm gonna do it.' He was there. Early in the morning. Hahaha.
"God, I moved up on Bull River in 1924. Well, I didn't move up, I just logged there with a camp. The first year I was here I used Burdette's house down there. And I built a bunkhouse there. And old Dan Coan ...
"So I bought it. Then I had to sell it. Well, there was Couer d'Alene Mill, old Herrick, he wanted it. And Old A.C. White, he wanted it. Well, while I was dealing with old Herrick he went broke. If I'd a kept my timber I'd a been all right. But I sold it to Old A.C. White and Old White went broke. So he broke me. He owed me $17,000 and that was a lot of money then. And I never got a nickel out of it.
"Oh, after White died, they all just went in and grabbed everything they could, see. The treasurer down there and the his bookkeeper, they all grabbed something.
"And he had fifteen million feet of timber in the yard, too. Fifteen million feet of lumber. I could of got my money. I was to blame. I could of got my money but I didn't want to crowd him. He was always, 'Well, now, we're awful hard up, Cliff. Can't you wait another month?'
"Hell! I waited for years. And pretty soon old White, he got married -- he was batchin' then -- he was a bachelor or widower. And then he got married to some girl he knew back in Maine or New Hampshire, or wherever he come from. And that killed him off.

"And damned near killed me, too. Hahaha."*21.
September 17, 1923: Weare contracted with A. C. White Lumber company, Dover, ID, to sell
"about a million feet of Idaho Whitepine at $22 per thousand feet; cedar and spruce at $10 a thousand, and fir and larch at $9 a thousand. Advance to be made on scale of logs delivered at the banks of the Bull Run River, Montana, scaled about once a month at the following prices: $10 for Idaho White Pine, $6.00 for Cedar and Spruce, $5 for Fir and Larch, the balance to be paid when the logs are delivered in the Clarks Fork River ... based on the delivery of at least one million feet of Idaho White Pine and not to exceed one million feet of mixed woods...."
All logs to be cut standard lengths, 10' to 20' and in good merchantable grade ... "free from labor and other liens."

A. C. White agreed to furnish from $500 to $1,000 cash on the purchase of the timber land in Sections 3 & 15/T28/R33W and "the balance of purchase price not to exceed $2,800" sixty days later ... Said money to "apply on the advance payments for logs, secured by "assignment of purchase of said tract to" A. C. White.

This family poses on poles that were
waiting to be driven down Bull Rive
on springtime high waters. Courtesy
Clayton Bauer collection.
 November 1, 1923: Weare was still trying to acquire the rest of the railroad holdings where he was logging. But Harvey Kirschbaum was also after the SE1/4-SE1/4 of the section. J. H. Cook, NPRR Eastern Land Agent wrote.
"I will be glad to sell our entire holdings to you and you can arrange your own deal with Mr. Kirschbaum."
November 14, 1923: C. R. Weare was in the process of seeking to have his huckleberry picker and cleaning apparatus patented through the offices of Herbert E. Smith, attorney in Spokane specializing in patents and trademark causes.

November 30, 1923: Wage claim slips -- Toothacker, H. Etenger, H. A. Goddard, scaler, H. Wilson, C. W. Weare, spruce 174 pc = 31,050 ft, "also 1/2 of some of Etengers skidding which I gave to you." R.E. Phillips. Dec. 21, 1923: R. E. Phillips, scaler. H. Etenger, 57 pieces spruce (7,860 ft) cut by H. Wilson and Bill. Con Grant, Dec. 1st, Whitepine 332 pcs = 50,090 ft; mct sp. 269 pc = 40,830 ft; Dec. 2nd, Whitepine = 36,610 ft; mix spruce =31,370 ft; Dec. 3rd, W.Pine 58 pcs = 9,200 ft; 3rd Whitepine 53 pcs = 8,370 for a total of 176,470 ft. Dec. 21, 1923: Con Grant Skidder. C. A. Sanger, skd 232 pcs = 37,220 ft cut by Lovell Bros. L.Thompson, sawyer. George Jamison, sawyer.

December 22,1923: Cook advised Weare the sale price would be $240 cash for the SE1/4-SE1/4,
"all mineral rights reserved". He also said, "We own the W1/2-W1/2 of Section 11/T28N/R33W., which is listed for sale in price list No. 79 attached. The balance of that section and all of section 13 have been approved as mineral land and lost to our grant."
As soon as Weare bought railroad's the land, Lincoln County contacted him.
"The survey of the Troy Noxon-Bull Lake road seems to pass through this land and the county is desirous of obtaining a right-of-way to construct the road which is being done through the Forestry Office under federal supervision ... The Railway Co has expressed the willingness to grant a right-of-way through this land providing that if the roadway should be abandoned that the right would terminate and that any damages that might be done to the standing timber by reason of the road construction would be payable to the Railway Company to apply on the contract of purchase in your favor."
 The county asked for Weare's signature
"under the assumption that you will be glad to help secure the construction of this road through the land."
December 29, 1923: NPRR offered Weare the SE1/4-SE1/4 for $300. Weare had already sent them $240 as full payment. Jan. 3, 1924 they wrote again saying,
"If you wish to take advantage of my offer to purchase the entire section, please remit $60 additional and I will ask for authority to enter sale upon the terms quoted."
January 4, 1924: Taking out Whitepine, 3,468 ft; yellow pine, 3,340 ft; red fir, 15,990 ft; spruce, 525,770 ft; tamarack, 19,430 ft; and cedar 106,570 ft. February scale report by H. A. Goddard. D.M. Bell was scaler too, in January. Bill Burdett and Frank Connelley were related.
"The government began giving the railroad company what they called 'Script' for their land," Weare said. "The railroad company took this Script at $2.50 an acre for what land they had. The government give them Script and the forest service took the land.
"Two and a half an acre for mountains and everything, every other section. "Well I bought from NPRR before they done that. I bought Section 15 and Section 3 up here. And I was bargaining for 17. I didn't get 17. The company over there at Libby, J. Neils Lumber Company, got it.
"Oh, awful nice timber. Great big Whitepine, you know. I wanted it. But the railroad company said, 'Well, you got this Section 16 and 15 and 3 and so on. You better let them have that up there.' Haha. "So I didn't get that but I done all right, you know. I sold that timber to A. C. White at Dover."*22.
January 4, 1924: Taking out White Pine, 346,810 ft; yellow pine, 3,340 ft; red fir, 15,990 ft; spruce, 525,770 ft; tamarack, 19,430 ft; and cedar 106,570 ft.

January 7, 1924: Lincoln county was still trying to secure right away from Weare. Weare's reply January 7 said,
"I bought this land and timber from the NPRR Co. and the road goes through very heavy timber I understand. I have not heard from the RyCo (sic) to date. If you feel that it is worth $200 send them a check to apply as they suggest when you get deed. Mr. Sutherland, the contractor, was asking me about the right of way some time ago. He said that across Sec 3 was the heaviest clearing they had. The RyCo are not interested as they get their money anyway after selling it to me."
February 4, 1924, Weare's $240 check, payment for the quarter section, bounced. The railroad returned it to him, asking for replacement. February scale report by H. A. Goddard. D.M. Bell was scaler too, in January.

March 5, 1924: J. W. Groff, chairman, Lincoln County Commissioners asked Weare to meet him to discuss the right of way controversy,
"You name the place and I will fix the date."
After paying $204 for 93 days board for his team, $224 for 560 meals to Ronald and C. Grant; $6 hauling for a ton of oats, and various other expenses of running a logging camp, Weare's credits totaled $1,653.63, his expenses totaled $1,299.41 leaving him $354.22 balance.

Family fishing among the poles waiting
to be diven down Bull River on the spring
highwater backed up by 'flash dam'. The
dams were temporary; built of poles
and dirt that was then dynamited to
let the held-back water float the timber
downstream to either be joined in the
annual Clark's Fork River timber drive, or
loaded out at Smeads Spur to be shipped
on the railroad to sawmills in Idaho.
 1923-24. Weare bought 618.68 acres on SEC3/TWN8N/R33W from NPRR for $3,712.08 on a ten-year credit contract with ten payments due of $1,712.80 each including interest.

April 3, 1924: Weare bought $90 worth of fire killed whitepine stumpage at $1.00 per M feet BM from the Forest Ranger Ben Saint paying another $45 for "cooperative brush disposal" on the sale in Sec. 14/T28N/R33W. A penalty of $5 per tree would be assessed for any damage to any live cedar or undesignated white pine that contains a merchantable volume which are uninjured.
"Please notify us at least five days prior to putting the logs in the water that we may send a man up to scale them. Should the weather conditions not permit the cutting of this timber before the spring drive, this amount will not be refunded to you."
Forest service sold the dead fire killed whitepine,
"to dispose of timber whose use or removal is necessary to protect the Forest from injury by removal of a portion of a dangerous fire hazard resulting from the 1917 fire."
C. V. Huck, labor agent, Spokane, WA, along with his business card, gave Weare a cardboard tag which said: 'HANG ME on your phone and when in need of help call Stanton Labor Co., Spokane who furnishes without any charge to all employers FREE LABOR.'

Weare entered into the standard Forest Service agreement to have a telephone in his house. Connected his private instrument with attachments to the Forest Service line known as the 'Bull River Line' thus promising, in exchange for free use, to
"give hearty co-operation in the prevention and suppression of forest fires."
Like all other users, Weare  was to maintain his equipment and portion of the line, and to allow government business and forest officers to have precedence over all private business calls when necessary. Carl H. Siria, forester, signed the agreement.

April 22, 1924: Weare paid $320cash for the W1/2-W1/2 160 acres of NPRR land in Section 11-28N-33W.

April 23, 1924: Weare received an order for 1500 5"x6 1/2' posts @ 7 cents, 1000 4"x6 1/2' @ 5 cents, f.o.b. Noxon.
"I will send you a check for $100. Upon your sending me the bill and the rest as soon as I get them unloaded and checked. I think you sent me the first carload without any payment (until) I had them unloaded. At any rate, Mr. Weare, I will not beat you or any other man out of a single post." A. L. Koltze, Pigree, N.D.

May 24, 1924: Attorney A. S. Ainsworth wrote to Weare,
"I write you again relative to the claim of J. T. Finnelly and the labor lien of Conrad Grant, and the account you owe H. (Howard) Ellinwood."
He threatened suit if Weare didn't do something to settle up, and gave him "a reasonable time" to do so.

June 12, 1924: A. C. White Lumber Company wasn't making it's obligations to Weare. Instead they wrote him,
"We will protect your account at the First National Bank of Sandpoint, but trust you can delay coming down or asking for more money until after pay-day next Tuesday as we must save all of our funds for that purpose. We assure you we are going to make a substantial remittance on your account very soon after that time."
Weare did something to settle up his accounts to his men. But it wasn't quite satisfactory, because June 14th he heard again from Ainsworth.
"I have your letter relative to the payment of the several accounts I hold against you. As to the Conrad Grant claim this is secured by logger's lien, and I presume he will foreclose the lien but am leaving the matter entirely in his hands and it is up to him to say what he wants done.
"As to the Ellinwood account, I enclose you a copy of it. Now as to the claim of John Finnelly, you are well aware that this man was injured while in your employ and that you were not carrying insurance as required under the State Law, and that you are liable in damages for the injuries sustained by him.
"Now in the face of this you try and deduct $20 from his wages for the expense of a team to carry the injured man out to the railroad ...
"I am enclosing an affidavit from a physician at Sandpoint, and would ask that you please return this to me so I can have it in my files ... we have nothing to conceal and are ready to meet you half way and even more.
"I do not care to file suit in this matter if any reasonable settlement can be made, and I again put the matter up to you, and ask that you let me know if you are willing to make a fair and reasonable offer of settlement."
June 21, 1924: Weare's banker ordered a couple of huckleberry pickers, congratulated Weare on
"getting a satisfactory settlement with White, and making good money in the job.." and advised him the balance on his note "is $110l.83 and interest of $62.14 since Jan. 1st, making a total of $1163.97."
July 1, 1924: Jack Finnelly agreed to accept $113.75 settlement. Arrangements to buy hay from W. T. Devan at Wallace were made and A.C. White acknowledged they'd shorted Weare 85,000 feet
"left out of the scale as this had not been put on the regular form of scale ticket on account of there being some question of getting the logs out. Mr. Bell informs us they were all taken out so we have added this to your credit and hope to be able to make a further payment on this very soon."
Only through teamwork were men with peavies able to roll whitepine logs into the water, prying them out to water deep enough to float them into the 'river drive'. Courtesy Wallace 'Wally' Gamble collection.
The lumber company was also very much interested in another tract of timber of Bull River and White planned to meet with Weare in August to,
"see if we cannot come to some agreement with you." July 15 the banker, Farmer and Merchants State Bank, Plains, MT, acknowledge Weare's payment in full of his note saying, "Glad to hear that you did well on the last winters work; and hope your standing timber wont burn this summer, it is very smokey here today."
Weare tried to pay Finnelly off with $91.40, but Jack was having none of it. Ainsworth, after three letters, threatened again to sue July 25. On August 17 Jack Finnelly had the matter straightened out and wrote to his lawyer, Ainsworth,
"I saw Dan Coan who was my partner when I was working for Mr. Weare last winter and the $28 he was holding out on me was paid once when I settled up with Mr. Coan this spring.
"Mr. White was working for both of us and I was supposed to pay half, which was $14 and that was left with Mr. Coan.
"So the statement he gave me was correct. Mr.Coan was over to see Mr. Weare this morning and told him that the $28 was to be charged to him and not to me. And Mr. Weare told him he would pay it to me and charge it to him."
Northern Pacific Railroad sent notice Weare was in default on his land contract thereby making the contract subject to cancellation. Weare submitted payments in August. The banker, C. S. Robinson, wants to buy 10 gallons of huckleberries.

The middle of August: Metropolitan Cedar Co. of Spokane offered Weare 150,000-175,000 feet of Whitepine, plus a considerable amount of mixed timber near Bull Lake in the NW1/4 of Section 28/T29N/R33W saying,
"The white pine market is not very good at the present time."
Would he care to make them an offer on the land and timber? E. J. Keogh has already taken the poles off it. They also offered Weare ten mattresses, ten springs and bunks and a grindstone and stove, all left at the camp, for $75. Weare, instead, contracted to take their Whitepine, cut, hauled and
"delivered along Bull River near your camp which is five miles from our tract of timber" for $18.00 per M. Somewhere between 100,999 -150,000 feet.
August 22, 1924: Weare bought 25# of Mammoth Red Clover seed and 10# Grimm Alfalfa. Sept 6th the banker acknowleged receipt of huckleberries, complaining there was only 5-10# lard pails, not the 10 gallons he'd wanted. Paid $12.50. Commented that
"I think you will have a good hand to help you log this winter as J. F. Mc,(McKay) didn't get very far in the political game.
"It is very slow and hard to collect this year, as the crop is the poorest that there has ever been since I have been here."
Weare bought Toothacher's car for $900 and a Jumbo Truck for $756 from M.P. Morrison.

September 1, 1924: F. M. Connelly wrote from Kellogg, ID, complained to Weare that he hadn't settled up for timber cut and removed from his land.
"As you know your foreman, John McKay was informed not to cut this timber but went ahead and cut it and said it is all right we'll pay Connelly stumpage.
"But I didn't want this timber removed from there with stumpage only. There was about twenty two thousand feet on a rough guess and most of this was white pine and as I understand it you received twenty dollars per thousand." He wanted a settlement. Now.
September 24, 1924: Weare bid $2,000 on a forest service sale on Dry Creek, but his deposit was returned. Forest Service had made an error, advertising the minimum rate for "other species" at $1.50 instead of 50 cents. The proposed sale would have to be re-advertised for thirty days. J. E. Ryan sent $1.60 to Weare for his meals at the camp saying,
"I did not intend to depart without paying for the underwear you so kindly furnished me on the big drive. Will pay for that the next trip I see you."
October 10, 1924: From V. G. Olver Garage, Noxon. Jess King
"Brought Ford $79 for 2 hours labor on head gasket & 1/2 hour on points and carburetor. 2 cones at 20 cents and 1-hour labor. Labor-$1 an hour. Total bill $31.50. Notation on bill says, "Dr Jess, Please pay this bill to Mr. Weir I need the money. V.G.O."
October 11, 1924: Weare bought W1/2-W1/2 Section 11/T28N/R33W from NPRR. October 7, 1924: A.C. White wanted to know if Weare could drive Harry Tallmadge's 250,000 feet of yellow pine in Bull River to them. Weare had contracted with A.C. White to log about two million feet of Idaho White pine, ($22); about two hundred fifty thousand feet of Western pine, ($12); two million feet of cedar, ($10); and about six hundred thousand feet of mixed woods (Spruce $10, Larch $9). The contract included the following clause that did not appear in earlier contracts:
"… agrees to keep his operation insured under the Workman's Compensation laws of the State of Montana; also to provide adequate hospital service for his men."
October 21, 1924: From First State Bank, Thompson Falls, , who took in R. R. Hoyt's truck on a trade, offers to Weare as follows: One 3 1/2 ton Diamond T ($1200), and one 5 ton International ($1,500). Holly-Mason Hardware Company, Jobbers of Hardware, the iron and steel merchants, sold at wholesale prices to Weare, through A. C. White's account. One $300 order included: 1/2 dozen skidding tongs, $40.50; 2 dozen 3x3/4 iron log singltree, $37.80; 70 ft 3/8 steel load chain, $27.09; 24 pr 30-10-0 Butt chain, $18.00; 1 keg horse shoes, $9.10; half dozen 6 1/2 ft cross cut saws, $68.58; 6 pr 24 saw handles, $4.80; a dozen 3 1/2 to 4KV double bitted axes, $22.25; handles, wedges, saw files, evener staples, calks, swivel grab hooks and cant hooks.
The prices to be kept in strictest confidence, so the merchants didn't "get in bad with the merchants at Noxon."
November 19, 1924: White sent a $2500 promissory note to Weare for signature saying,
"The First National Bank at Sandpoint are refusing to honor your checks unless there is a balance there, won't even give us time to put the funds in, but Mr. Bowen said it would be alright if you will endorse a note.... he'll keep it on file there and will honor your checks, calling us up and we will send the money which will then apply on this note. Kindly return it to him at once."
December 2, 1924: White complains,
"It seems to us you have been drawing pretty heavily on your account for the last month. Hardly a day passes but what we must send up from $250 to $750 to the bank. Of course, we must take care of the expense of getting in these logs, but we sincerely trust you can make these drafts pretty light until after our pay-day, the 15th...let us know how weather conditions are and whether you can soon land a good many of the logs on Bull River."
December 3, 1924: Weare got a Hospital Contract with Dr. D. H. Billmeyer.
"Dr. Billmeyer says that it is understood between you and him that in case any men are sent to his hospital for treatment under this contract that you are to look after the BOARD of the men at his place." Wade R. Parks, lawyer, Plains, Montana.
October 6, 1924: Frank Connelly decided that the timber Weare took was worth about $150 and asked payment. C. R. Weare bought one 1924 Sport Touring Oldsmobile from J. R. Toothacker, taking a mortgage with C. W. Palmer, for "10 payments of $52.00 for the $520 total including 8% per annum interest. Weare's September 1924 payroll, for May's camp: Plus $98 for "work on roads" done by Earnest Brotherston. Men working in the camp included E. Chapin ($58.35); G. Chapin ($23.50) Chas Wilson ($88.10); H. Curtis ($22.95); R. Meadows ($.25); H. Norton ($.25); Chas. Norton ($3.00); J. (John) King ($49.00); F. King ($4.75); F. Urner ($5.00); Ed. Jones ($64.00); I. Harrison ($41.65).

November 1925: Weare paid $14.68 property taxes on 160 acres and $73.54 without protest on three other parcels.*23.

January 6, 1924 to December 30, 1926, Orders included bills for supplies from The McClinton-Trunkey Co, wholesale grocers,
  • 20# Pails standard Peaberry Ground coffee
  • Cases Carnation milk.
  • Gallons of lemon extract and vanilla extract.
  • Dozens of pairs of gloves at $2.25 a dozen.
  • 45# pails of lard compound
  • 20# units of Pacific nuts
  • gallons of Cider Vinegar
  • cases of canned peaches and pears and sea shell macaroni
  • cases of Kellogg Corn Flakes, Juno Pancake Flour, Wilson Mince Meat, and 12 oz bottles Turpentine
  • gallons Honey, Blue Banner syrup, mustard, horseradish mustard
  • sugar cane sugar
  • Riverside Kraut, Riverside spinach, tomatoes, sour pickles, blackberries, seedless raisins, dried peaches, Vesta peas
  • soda crackers
  • eggs
  • Fels Naptha soap
  • Vesta corn, Crystal Lake peas.
  • Cases of canned Pumpkin
  • bulk cocoanut, walnuts, large Brazil nuts.
Meat was bought from the Bonner Meat Company, a Sandpoint, ID wholesale house. H. A. Larson and Co. General Merchandise at Noxon received substantial orders, as well, but mostly for oats, overalls, tobacco, sox, gloves, kerosene and coal oil, cigarettes, and fresh oranges.
  1. Carmen Moore, tape-recorded oral history March 16, 1988.
  2. Carmen Moore, tape-recorded oral history February 1988.
  3. Bob and Ann Larson, oral history March 6, 1972.
  4. Clayton Bauer, tape-recorded oral history November 1979.
  5. Loren "Lanky" Jamison, tape-recorded oral history January 8, 1987.
  6. Loren "Lanky" Jamison, tape-recorded oral history December 26, 1986.
  7. Robert L. Hileman, letter December 10, 1982.
  8. Frank Berray and Clifford R. Weare. tape-recorded oral history, undated, ca. 1970.
  9. Gordon "Bud" Daugharty, letter.
  10. Charles Knutson, tape-recorded oral history November 18, 1983.
  11. Carmen Moore, tape-recorded oral history April 20, 1988.
  12. Frank Berray and Clifford R. Weare, tape-recorded oral history, undated, ca. 1970.
  13. Gordon "Bud" Daugharty, letter. Gordon, in water up to his waist, is third man from the left in the picture. He lived in Clark's Fork, Idaho at time of drives.
  14. Grace (Carmichael) and Glen Nelson, tape-recorded oral history Habyart 1988.
  15. H. R. Bob Saint, tape-recorded oral history, November 18, 1983. Buzzer, April 1926, Vol. 1, #6.
  16. Walter Robb, letter, February 2, 1988. Robb spent rest of life working for forest service as packer, scaler and district ranger until retirement 1957.
  17. Cabinet National Forest, Trout Creek District, History of Planning Unit #17. ca. 1970's.
  18. Stewart and Agnes Hampton, oral history, November 18, 1983.
  19. H. R. Bob Saint, tape-recorded oral history, November 18, 1983.
  20. Johnny Knutson, tape-recorded oral history 1970.
  21. Clifford R. Weare, tape-recorded oral history March 20, 1970.
  22. Clifford R. Weare, tape-recorded oral history March 20, 1970.
  23. Clifford R. Weare papers, var., 1923-24.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I saw them in Oregon, too. Went to visit where my Dad worked in timber, around Klamath Falls, OR. St. Maries, ID has an impressive old steam donkey in their town park. Dad worked there, too, and lost his hearing when a steam donkey operator let his truck down the mountain too fast.